View Single Post
      03-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow Stammheim Military Museum - near Schweinfurt, Germany...

Name:  Stammhiem  museum-fuer-militaer-und-zeitgeschichte-in-stammheim-19.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  87.4 KB

Stammheim am Main

Museum für Zeitgeschichte

Maintalstraße
97509 Stammheim/Gde. Kolitzheim

phone: 09381-9255
Fax: 09381-9850

e-mail: info@museum-stammheim.de

http://www.museum-stammheim.de/

Open: Tuesday thru Sunday. Closed Mondays.
Note on every Sunday they run an old steamed powered train!

10am until 6pm.

Cost: five euros.

IF Anyone is near the Bamberg – Schweinfurt – Würzburg area, I would highly recommend you going to this museum. Its kind of small (just three medium sized halls)… it is no Sinsheim by any means… but what it lacks in size it really makes up for in quality. The museum lets you walk back into time. Showing you how the military looked like during the war years. And what I liked even more is how it showed the common man… and how the war impacted their life. Everything they show here is from around the Schweinfurt area. Like the German uniforms are all from local regiments from this area of Franken. This museum really lets you walk back into time – and that is what I liked best about it. They are also not afraid to show you the objects and symbols of Third Reich – which is very rare in Today’s Germany.

Currently the museum is almost finished with its new exhibit displays. By mid April they will be finished. But if you come by before then… they will still let you visit.

IF you have any interest in military history… you should come by to visit this museum. I think it will just get better and better over the coming years!

Many have heard of the infamous bombing attacks on Hamburg and Dresden from WWII. In a lot of those old war films they also talk about bombing the “ball bearing factory”. Well.. that was Schweinfurt. Even today Schweinfurt is home to SKF – “the” German ball bearing maker.

Also made in Schweinfurt today is: *** (hydraulic clutch systems, ZF transmissions, Bilstein and F&S (Fichtel and Sachs) suspensions.

As you drive past Schweinfurt (coming from BA) you will see two large nuclear smoke stacks/towers. The Stammheim museum is very close to those smoke stacks.

Onto my photos…

Dackel

Museum brochure… click to enlarge…

Aerial photo of the museum grounds…

WWI trench warfare…

NATO M47 panzer…

1st I.D.

Opel Blitz lkw/truck…

School Haus...

Poster caption: Lucky You!

Dug up…

Aftermath of bombing…

In the field…

One of ours M88…

The last hall…

The old border…

A German village divided by the Iron Curtain

Berlin airlift… and the Hershey candy bar bomber…

DDR Volkspolizei…

Gotta love the Germans! Even the fire Dept gets a Panzer!

An Army travels on its stomach...

The End.

You can see more of my photos here 

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/x...20Schweinfurt/
Appreciate 0