View Single Post
      06-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydm View Post
This actually makes sense to me! I had the exact same problem on a BMW Z4 about a year ago. Popped when pulling of my driver, braking over bumps, accelerating and sometimes randomly. After trying everything behind the dashboard I searched some forums. I was advise to tighten the strut bars pictured below. When trying the top (boxed in yellow) strut fitting, the bolts where a bit loose.

After tightening all fittings, the popping stopped.

I have just checked the 135 and the top ones are very hard to get to. If I get the popping noise it will be the first thing I try. Has anyone managed to do this to rule it out?

My theory is that they are right behind the dashboard and will loosen over time, this causes the bars to knock/pop when the cars flex. Worked on the Z4 which had the exact same design.

hmmm interesting. however this wouldn't explain how I once got the same exact popping noise with the car parked and on neutral.. windows were down, outside temp was like 95 degrees (like 35C), AC was blasting at close to max, and the damn thing popped....

i do agree tho that most often it happens when going over a bump, jerking the car from shifting, or some other motion like that.

on another hand, if it were a problem with tightening something, how would it make sense that the car does not pop when the AC is off or when the temperature is below ~80F (~25C)?
Appreciate 0