View Single Post
      06-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
bobbydm
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post
hmmm interesting. however this wouldn't explain how I once got the same exact popping noise with the car parked and on neutral.. windows were down, outside temp was like 95 degrees (like 35C), AC was blasting at close to max, and the damn thing popped....

i do agree tho that most often it happens when going over a bump, jerking the car from shifting, or some other motion like that.

on another hand, if it were a problem with tightening something, how would it make sense that the car does not pop when the AC is off or when the temperature is below ~80F (~25C)?
I take your point entirely, it does sound more like plastic changing shape with temperature change but it would be great to rule out the issue with the strut! The only basic explanation of the popping whilst the car is sat still is that the strut is also changing shape with temperature. I wonder how close the AC vents are to the strut fitting?

Would be great to have a good diagram... I hope mine doesn't start popping soon! It would be interesting to see if it happens to cars with a certain milage or age? All I do know is, I hate random noises like this in cars
Appreciate 0