View Single Post
      05-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

It's actually pretty easy if you've ever taken the cowling at the back of the engine bay off (the plastic piece that the cabin filter is bolted to).

You can actually see the sensor if you open the bonnet and look behind the airbox. In fact, if you have aftermarket cone filters you can probably access it without removing the cowling.

It's screwed into the intake manifold just behind the airbox and can be seen without removing anything. I tried removing the lid of the airbox, but there just wasn't enough room to get my skinny hands in.

Now I've done it I know that I'd never have gotten it out with the cowling in place, because the wiring clip was tricky to release. If you have aftermarket cone intakes then it may be easier to release the clip though.

I just cleaned it (carefully) with isopropyl alcohol and some cotton buds. The round cage piece is just plastic and can be wiped down with the IPA and some shop towel, it's inside that cage that the sensor lives - two thin strips of metal that join at the end - you can see part of it in the second pic. You can just about touch these with cotton buds through the holes in the cage, but be careful not to damage them. You can also use switch cleaner or similar - as long as it doesn't leave a residue.
Appreciate 0