View Single Post
      12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
teddyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Moving from a Cayman

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has moved from a Cayman to a 135i and what their impressions are? Having searched around a bit I didn't find anything that answers my question directly, and I am sure these cars get cross shopped quite a bit.

My lease just ran out on my White 07 Cayman (non S). I really did love the car but being a new model for Porsche it did spend a lot of time in the shop (replaced tranny and headliner amongst other things). On the plus side it drove beautifully and was the steering was telepathic. However maintenance costs and general upkeep were high. A brake job on one of these things will really make your eyes water!

The 135i's 4 seats (even if the back two are tiny) appeal and while mid mounted engines (in the Cayman obviously) make for great driving dynamics, it's a pain in the butt to get comfortable. I'm 5'10" and was constantly bumping the engine bay with my seat.

Anyway, I just ordered an '11 135i coupe. Alpine white, DCT, Black leather, M package, HK sound, premium package, convenience package, navigation. Pretty well loaded. A comparable Cayman is well into the mid 60's - about a 20k bump. The '07Cayman I just turned in was in the mid 50's when I leased it and was pretty much a stripper except for climate control and heated seats.

The test drive of the 135i blew me away - way more power than the Cayman and the torque is just always there, so I am excited to pick up the car next week. Having had the 5sp in the Cayman, the DCT is going to be a refreshing change... the throttle blips on the down shifts put a big grin on my face!

So after all that I guess my question is if I'm going to be equally excited to drive the car every day. I realize that is a very subjective question, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. From a practical standpoint the move to a 135 is a no brainer, however I am fortunate in that this isn't my daily driver - more of a fun ride.

The Cayman certainly turned a lot of heads (which I didn't hate, but can certainly live without!) but as a driving enthusiast I still want to get excited every time I get behind the wheel.

Once I get my car and drive it for a while I'll be happy to post my thoughts... if anyone is interested!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0