View Single Post
      06-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #10
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Run flats shouldn't be repaired if you've driven a long way with no pressure in the tire. If it's just a few miles then you're pretty safe. The steel belts will wear and weaken the tire since they're doing all the work holding the tire up.

On my initial drive in my e90 330i last month I was on I-81 in WV about 3 car lengths behind a semi I was about to pass when he swung too wide in a curve and hit an abandoned car in the emergency lane. He caught the car with the rear wheels of the trailer and spun it around 180 degrees. I hit the brakes and pulled as far left as I could without hitting the median to avoid a shower of glass and car parts. There was one chunk of tire that got picked up by the rear trailer tire and flung directly into the middle of my windshield. Luckily it just landed with a thunk and didn't even leave a mark. I know it's weird, but it reminded of the movie The World According to Garp where in one scene Robin Williams' character Garp and his wife were househunting when a light plane crashed into the house while they watched. Garp insisted that they buy the house since it was "pre-disastered." What worse could happen? So consider your bimmer pre-disastered. I do.
Appreciate 0