View Single Post
      05-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Thanks for the reply Dackel -- That makes a lot of since to control using the e-water pump, since thermostats tend to seize up after a while.

IgoFast -- What you suggest can (and is) done. Check out Dinan's description here:

Quote:
360 Horsepower; 373 lb-ft of Torque; Top Speed Governor Removed; Factory Matching Warranty (4year/50,000 mi); Full Map Rescaling; Properly Returned Fuel Mixtures; Remapped Water Pump Speeds to Control Engine Temperature; Free Dinan Software Updates for the Life of the Car;
http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D900-3...de.aspx#page=1

I have heard that COBB does not do this in their stage 1 tunes (I wish they did). I am not sure about GIAC or any of the other flash-based tunes out there.

All of this aside...Oh, and I don't recommend this, but....If you want to get the most out of your cooling system, and you live in an area that never freezes, replacing your coolant with pure distilled water will give you the highest cooling system performance. Note though, that there would be nothing to lubricate the water pump, nothing to manage the scale and ph of the water, and nothing to add color (for identifying leaks). If I were to run all-water, I'd still add some water wetter as it eeks out a little more performance, and provides at least minimal lubrication for the pump.

I have another car that I run only about 25% coolant in, just because the engine far exceeds the cooling system's thermal capacity. Now, granted I have increased the HP rating by 50% so....