Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

^Huh? Coilovers are a set of matched springs and shocks in one package. They are perfectly matched by the same manufacturer (KW is a reputable brand), unlike springs and shocks which (what I'm seeing on here at least) is usually something like a Koni shock with a H&R/Eibach spring. Maybe the pre-set dampening of your old coils just wasn't to your liking, or maybe they just sent you some bad coils. But in almost every case, coils are better than springs+shocks especially because they are tuned in house to be perfectly matched. I know because I spent months researching (albeit casually), and I was set on getting Koni Sports (the yellow ones) + H&R Sport springs, before talking to lots of people and deciding on getting my ST's.
cheap coilovers typically run stiffer springs than the dampers are capable of handling.

also, no one ever speficifies the length of the dampers, and what ride height matches exactly with the length of the dampers to allow for an OEM suspension travel length.

running shorter springs with stock height dampers is a recipe for a bad suspension setup.

thats why i agree with you on the hr and koni or eibach and koni setup

i consider only the hr cup kit and eibach pro system kit the only matched spring / shock combos available for this car.

i would never run hr because i dont like the fact that their springs are very stiff and IMO the dampers cant handle the stiffness. eibach is a better choice for a dd

if you really want a high performance coilover setup, something like AST or TCK with true shortened dampers and linear spring rates is the way to go
This man speaks the truth.

I have run jap coilovers and many matched shock and spring kits.

I'll probably put the B12 pro kit(Bilstein/eibach) in my 130i.
Appreciate 0