mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
What is bad about active steering?
i've never driven one, but this is what i've read:

ther's lots of threads about this on e90 post. but basically magazines say it reduces the feel (i can't imagine b/c the std wheel doesn't seem to have that much feel to begin with). also, there's some anamolies that happen because the steering ratio changes with the speed. So if you slow down in a turn, as you're slowing down you have to adjust for the change in steering ratio.

but people that own it, seem to like it, after getting used to it - it makes it easier to park and maneuver at low speeds. and it adds another level of safety b/c the front wheels become connected with the dsc system and will correct loss of lateral traction better than just dsc alone. if this is worth 1200 bucks to you, then you should get it.

the m cars have a version of active steering, but the ratio isn't tied to speed, its tied to steering angle. And this is also the system that porsche uses. The non-M active steering is therefore not an option on the M cars.

I wish there was an option to just have a quicker steering ratio all the time, like an evo, but that may be troublesome at autobahn speeds, but there are no autobahns in the country where most bmw's are sold and driven (the USA).

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0