View Single Post
      05-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Sbefar, I've discussed my case on here a few times. I have been modding my car for a while. When I went in for my first hpfp related evaluation the service department where I bought my car (funny enough United BMW where Dan works) recorded my suspension and drivetrain mods and it was entered into the database. The SA came off a little hard and liked to use the term voided warranty. He acted like they did me a favor to not charge me for that service visit.

I took it in stride knowing my rights and also knowing that you really may have to pay if you play. When the hpfp finally got where I was pretty sure it was on it's last leg I phoned BMW NA. They confirmed that my car was written up in the database so any dealer I'd go to would react the same. After minute or two and a mention of the known flawed hpfp and how I was sure that was not related to my mods and a court would agree then my call was referred to a higher person. This person set it up so that whenever I took my car in a national service person would check the car at no charge and we'd go from there.

They treated me fine the whole way and did replace my hpfp at this second visit. Somehow it's also wrote up that my hpfp extended warranty is still intact. But my suspension and drivetrain are listed as modded in the database. I agree with others, it's really not a voided warranty, but for example if my turbos go out, it will be very hard to prove that my downpipes etc are not responsible so I'll probably have to pay.

I'm not a big warranty/insurance type of person. It doesn't bother me and now I don't have to run around hiding my mods. It may cost me but I doubt it, as stated the warranty only covers you for 50k anyways.

Still, if you can avoid being written up then you should do it.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0