10-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #516
otterdoc
Mean Little Otter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohoolm View Post
Hello I'm finally ready to order my 2010 128i convertible. My first contact dealer
was BMW Ann Arbor , I also contacted several other dealers for a quote. Here's the problem, Ann Arbor dealer will not give me a quote until I bring in writing the quotes from the other dealers! Has anyone ever experienced this? His direct quote is "cheaper doesn't always mean better. What we are offering here is a certain level of service! Has anyone else run into trouble getting quotes? P.S I was offered 1500.00 off of my build from another dealership. What do you think? Is this S.O.P ?
Short answer: Yes, I had a deal from one place presented to another dealer to see if they could meet or beat the offer. I used a buying service to do the negotiating for me. Best thing I ever did.

Long Answer:
I didn't get good service from the sales guy at AnnArbor that I talked to about my purchase a couple months before the order. I ended up with Erhard at Bloomfield and couldn't be happier. My SA is no longer with them, but Mike Montemurri comes highly recommended. Erhard is a center of excellence for service and I've always been treated very very well there. No BS, no pressure, superb communication, etc.

My suggestion is to start your pricing conversation at some amount above invoice, not money off MSRP. I did that and fared well. I know Erhard likes to be at about $1000 over invoice. Some folks do better than that with some dealers, but I didn't get any better offers from anyone else in Michigan. The next best deal was from Grand Blanc BMW.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. otterdoc at mac dot com.