View Single Post
      03-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #20
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I bought an oil change kit, 7 quarts of BMW oil and the filter, from United. I will do the same, possibly from Tischer next time. It didn't seem like I would save a lot by trying to find Mobil 1 0W40 and I like using BMW parts while the car is still under warranty.

If the N54 drain plug is nearly horizontal, you turbo guys might want to look into the quarter turn ball valve drain plugs that have a tubing nipple on the outlet. They are available at "quickoildrainvalve.com". It looks like their F109N ($32) might work if you also got their $6 adapter (the warning suggests the drain plug is recessed which means you need the adapter). The advantages are you need no wrench to change oil but the key advantage is you can direct the tubing to go straight into your pan. I did this on my Grand Vitara and it works great. If the drain plug is not horizontal, however, the longer valve arrangement will hang down creating a possible ground clearance issue I wouldn't risk. One of the last thing syou want hitting the pavement is your oil drain plug.

Jim