Thread: Oil cooler?
View Single Post
      10-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I'm all about trying something new. I happen to have an ER oil cooler and have done the install a few times (hence my original comment about the reuseable hose fittings). What's hard to tell from the Dinan photo and the photos on ER's website is how the bumper cover fits over the oil cooler/shroud. The outer edge of the ER oil cooler is exactly 2" deep and it's a tight fit between the bumper cover and wheel well. In fact you have to cut the fender liner so the back of the oil cooler housing pokes into the wheel well by about 1/2" on the outer edge. For this reason, the fan must be put in front of the oil cooler. The second issue is that both the Dinan and ER shrouds drop down at an angle of between 15 and 20 degrees to clear the headlight support. I'd be concerned the fan would not clear the headlight support. The third issue is the angle that the bumper cover transitions from the edge to the center of the car. In your picture, under the oil cooler, look at the bottom of the the shroud... That's you approximate clearance. In my mind, the bumper cover will not fit over the fan. Good luck.

Oh, one more thing about the Dinan picture. The top part of the shroud angles down, and the outter edge angles toward the center of the car. As a result, the picture creates an optical illusion that it angles down at 45 degrees. It's much steeper than it appears.
Appreciate 0