View Single Post
      07-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #119
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Hi sorry to be a bit dumb. i've just been through the 6 pages of this post... very interesting!

Question......Adrian mentions "decat down pipes and DCI". I assume the down pipes are the same as what we call in WRX terms dump pipes? Is this puely a stock dump pipe with the cat removed and still connected to a stock exhaust, or after market dumb with std exhaust? Secondly what's a DCI?

Thanks
Hi ExREX,

I am also ex-REX... but I still have a WRX as my track car!! Mine is a 98 that is pretty stripped and not much is standard. It is pretty quick at track/motorkhana/drag.

Downpipe = dump pipe. In teh N54 there is a dump or down pipe off each turbo. They each have cats in them. In my case I have replaced them with bolton pipes that have no cats and are a bit larger in diameter. My exhaust system is otherwise stock standard and sounds the same as a standard car.

DCI = Dual Cone Intake. Basically replacing the standard air box with two cone air filters. To be honest, I think there is not much power in this mod, and I would have gotten similar results with the standard air box and filter.

To get 250+ kW ATW in a N54 is really just a matter of the tune (around 50-60kW) and down pipes (10-20kW). After that it gets harder to get every kW, but next mods would be FMIC, Meth, Full exhaust. which would get you another 20-30kW.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0