01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #60
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I'd say the wider PS2s offer more grip than the PSS in this case.

Absolute lap times are cool to compare, but I'd rather know the driver's perspective of the car's characteristics during the laps.
Agree with the second part of your post totally.

About the sizes, every car comes with a stock size, this or that size right? The issue is M135i has the best street tire it could have in whatever size BMW decided to engineer it with and 1M just doesn't, simple as that. Tires matter, matter a lot. The reason why 1M didn't come with PSS remains controversial (would be too fast, too much, too risky considering already dangerously close performance to M3, who knows), BMW claimed they were not ready yet during some informal interviews with press when they have been asked why, but PSS was indeed introduced and available in January 2011 in Europe (1M production only started in March) and they were developed in cooperation with M division (plus Porsche and Ferrari). Moreover, every single M car and even M Performance car after 1M have launched with PSS, which is the new generation PS2 anyway. Anyone who drives a 1M with stock tires and then with PSS instantly knows what I am talking about since the car feels much better, faster and controlable/planted/sure footed with them, fits like a glove to car's nature imo unlike the stock PS2 which are great most of the time but rides harsher than PSS and just do not have sufficient traction to handle 1M level low down torque especially on less than perfect road and weather conditions. That's why PS2 have been regarded perfect on M3s (natural, since they are BMW specific and made for M3) but not that much on 1Ms. Only the better and experienced drivers on track conditions like them as much as or more than PSS due to the fact that they make the car more tail happy and arguably more fun for those talented few. But everyone accepts that the car is simply quicker and safer at the same time with PSS.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0