Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
You're not feeling the boost in your speed3... you're feeling the lack of it.

Turbo lag is the feeling you are getting, the time when you push the pedal down, and there is nothing until all of a sudden you're thrown back in your seat because the turbo finally comes on. The twin turbo has significantly less lag because there are two smaller turbos rather than one large one to create the desired effect. Since there is less lag, there is more power initially when you put your foot down, and thus less of that feeling as the turbo spools up to more boost.

^This is the very short answer.

Most turbo vehicles dont have a boost gauge. For the average driver it isn't necessary, so most oem's dont include it. Its added cost for little gain more than a novelty item because most oem boost gauges aren't made very accurate.
^Exactly.

If you look at BMW's sales and service documentation, they make a huge deal out of the fact that you can't "feel" the turbo. The idea is that you should feel the full power band at the lower RPM's, and the car should respond like a naturally aspirated engine.

When you "feel" the turbo kicking in, that just means that you didn't have enough boost at the lower end.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0