View Single Post
      12-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

it seems to me that mapazzel is dropping knowledge on top of everyone but no one is reading the signs?

Let's recap....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

- It is an N54 and there have been internal changes made for the M.

- there have been changes made. M has gone over this motor like any other of their offerings and made changes as they saw fit

-I will not go into details here but, just know that there have been internal changes to make the car definitely track worthy.

- note that the 335is and Z4IS were parallel projects with the 1M being developed by M more like the Z4

-All I am able to say is that M made changes as they saw fit. As for the economies part- ever consider the changes could be made to all current N54s to make it viable? You need to understand how BMW looks at these things, there is a reason the 128i ended up with the air curtain system as well. They used other cars development to make the 1M even obtainable.

Let me add to this that which I DO know to be true. As JasonCSU mentioned earlier, we discussed the motor at the pre-drive event. I directly asked one of the engineers what differences there are to the 1M motor versus the 135. His response was that the parts in the motor are the same, but with higher tolerances, there are new piston rings, and that they have spent a significant amount of time on the dyno tweaking the software. I did NOT think to ask about the turbos, as my question was primarily about engine internals and not parts bolted on.

Swamp... sorry to debunk your conspiracy theory. If there was something the engineers could not tell us, they simply said so. They allowed us to ask questions and they answered them, or did not answer them based on what info they could reveal. When we asked about power figures, they were coy, but if we were out of the ballpark (360 hp? - answer - no).... ( 340 hp? - answer... smile) then they let us know.

My expectation is that items in the motor have been beefed up for better reliability by using tighter tolerances, but that much of the power increase is in the tuning. As mapazzel indicated, any of these internal adjustments would indeed carry over to other cars using the same powerplant... so for example if the

As far as the complaints about " this should have been an 'is' package" it seems those are easily answered.

To my knowledge the Z4 35is and the 335 is cars do not have an updated suspension package, nor do they have the M differential. So... the is packages involve different wheels, different bumpers and some other exterior trim parts, the motor, but not wholesale changes to the suspension and of course the differential. To me that is why the Z435 was close to being an M but eventually deemed not worthy. In addition, we now also know that the 1M was developed separately, which means it's NOT the same as the 335.

As far as engines.... everyone seems to be trying to place the old paradigm on this model and it simply does not work. Heck.. it may nor work on ANY new M motor. We know that BMW will be using turbo motors more in the future for all M cars. It's entirely possible that a turbo motor will also be used in the top (non-M) models of these vehicles as well. We see this already with the 135, and the 335. Sure.. IN THE PAST, all the motors were unique and had the cool-man S code... but that simply MAY NOT BE THE CASE GOING FORWARD on turbo motors! So all the carping about " true M motor" is only coming from people that refuse to accept changes. I am sure there are some people that still call the US E36 M3 a 332is... but really.. isn't that just trite? Sure.. the motor didn't have individual throttle bodies like the European version, but did that keep the E36 M3 from being one of the most popular M cars for BMW in the US?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-24-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0