View Single Post
      02-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
jonack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Yes, I pulled the trigger!

Ordered a 2013 Cooper S Roadster...will be constructed in Oxford , England, and will be delivered in 6-8 weeks; my 2008, 135i, is the down payment (trade).
This was the most difficult automobile transaction that I have experienced. I do love the one...it had issues, but warranty covered them... I extended a power train warranty (big mistake.... made the same mistake twice.... DON'T buy extended warranty unless you plan to keep the car!)... The135i had about one year left to this warranty, so one could argue that I pulled the trigger too soon, but then there would be a devaluation , etc.
It all comes down to money and philosophy!!!! I got a tiny windfall 10 years ago, bought a 2003 3 series, traded it and bought the 2008, 135i...that's it , bank money gone, the value is now in the car. Two months ago my right tail riding light died. I had friends at a local garage fix it, but it is a led light, and had to be ordered from BMW.... the whole tail lamp had to be replaced: $350.00... Are you shitting me! I can't afford to run this car beyond warranty... any incurred maintenance cost will not be recovered. Period! If money is not an issue, than who cares!
I'm retired, on fixed income, so I care very much! I also want to experience a roadster somewhat similar to the English roadsters I bounced around in when I was a kid. Now, this vehicle has to meet some criteria: must be my daily driver (meaning NE winters / snow/ ice..), must have adequate cargo space to hold my large tennis bag; a platform that is relatively high, so I don't have to fall in; price; nice to have good gas mileage, too. Now, that eliminates: Porsche, Z cars, even the Miata.... Mini Cooper wins! I am not a Mini Cooper enthusiast ( I told them!) .... But, I am attracted to their roadster... so I went for it!
Best, JoNack
Appreciate 0