View Single Post
      06-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The car certainly won't run any better or last any longer by "driving it like you stole it" but it will certainly not run as well or as long if abused during break-in. In Germany most people are smart enough to break their new vehicle in by the book and then once it's broken in properly they drive according to the laws while properly maintaining their cars. Sure they run them fast on the A-Bahn but with a properly broken in engine it's not a problem. These cars are meant to be driven.

Let's refrain from the personal attacks. It isn't wise to tell someone to floor it out the dealer's door, just because they are leasing or trading in a few years. By most accounts that would be considered ignorant advice. You can still do serious engine damage from abuse and that would not be covered by warranty.
Relax Rat, I was being facitious about burning out of the lot, but I did just that back in 69 when I picked up a new Roadrunner 440 6-Pack. My point was to follow the book, or take it easy for 300 miles and then do a few WOTS as long as you are moving. It will not hurt a thing. The engines are run prior to shipping over here.

The key is to cvary your speed. I have broken cars in many different ways over a lot of years, and never had a problem. To me, oil changes are more important over the life of the engine.
Appreciate 0