07-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #44
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
what is this based on and what is the mechanism? if it was that simple im sure that bmw would have picked that up.
I am just saying that IF you are going with BMW OCI and your car starts ticking like a sewing machine - what do you expect!?!?

IF your car starts to make this ticking noise and you have followed BMW recs on OCI, what really can they do? They can do... 1).put some monkey slime in the oil to quiet it down. 2). change the head to the newer design with the check valve to hold oil in the lifters. 3). Replace the engine with a new one. 4). keep replacing parts and buying time until you get fed up and trade out of the car or switch brands. Or your warranty is over with or you are out of Lemon juice.

I have been following this thread in Bimmer Mag and even Mike Miller says there is no real fix. Even with a new designed head.

All I am saying is IF you don't want a loud engine you will need to do SOME preventative maintence - like some added oil changed over and beyound what BMW says/recs.
Appreciate 0