View Single Post
      02-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Not sure if the numbers that Orb posted were for the 135 but Orb has done a lot of work on the 3 series and knows what he is talking about so you can go with his suggestions IF they actually apply to the 135 - noting that the 450/800 combo he suggests is to improve pitch for high speed track use. If you're planning more street use then track a 350/800 combo might be better as it will still be plenty stiff.

As Orb says it's all a compromise. If the rear subframe bushings won't handle a higher rear spring rate to match the front then you're stuck with fudge factors to try and compensate for other short comings of the suspension. A stiffer rear ARB might also help the balance with the stiff front rates. A lot depends on what the suspension bushings do with the increased spring rates as far as deformation under lateral load.

You might want to PM Orb and confirm that the numbers he listed are applicable to the 135 and your intended use - as the weight and distribution is different on the 135 .
I'm doing the full E92 M3 conversion: bushings, links, and I'd like to do the rear camber arm if I can procure a balanced, quality suspension system to fit it in the 135i. (Yes I realize there are subtle weight variations between the E92 and E82)

I'm intrigued by the fact that you now say 350/800 or 450/800 might be reasonable. Wouldn't you think that the balance should remain relatively constant, with both front and rear spring rates adjusted accordingly? Not just the front...
Appreciate 0