View Single Post
      04-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
tarmacrapist
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2001 Mazda Protege LX

128i Inquiry

Hello all!

I’m new to this forum, and BMWs all together; as a matter of fact, I have never even driven one to this day, but hope that might change in within the next year. I’m finally out of school and into the work force as a mechanical designer, but have been a car enthusiast my entire life. My present day car is a 2001 Mazda Protégé LX (base model, apart from the two point not), suffering from DSS (degenerative steel syndrome, otherwise know as rust) in all 4 fenders, rocker panels and spreading to parts of the floor. It has a redressed frame after an unfortunate at fault collision with the side walk this winter, so vibrations are abundant above 110km/h and the car is undriveable above 140km/h (not that I venture that high often anyway)

All this intro just to inquire about the 1-series; a car I keep reading is a marvel and great experience to drive. I’m looking for something nimble, rear-wheel drive, with decent fuel economy, good reliability, a $25,000 or less purchase price, sane insurance for a 22 y-o male, decent power and good fit and finish. Not many cars today (if any other) meet my stringent requests for a daily driver, but the 128i seems to sit as close to it as I could ask for.

I’m just wondering about a few key points, notably reliability, and if there are any model years I should avoid. Also, I hear there isn’t a dipstick?! That I must check the oil quality and quantity through the trust of a computer?! I’m not sure I like that; I need a more tangible alternative to motor oil verification. Is there a plugged hole present in the engine block that was previously used for such a dipstick, but condemned in favor of the electronic option? I have heard as well the presence of a clutch release control valve that prevents drivers from stressing the transmission, and that it’s b!tch to park and drive normally. Is there a way to bypass this in a warranty-safe method?

Thanks!

James
Appreciate 0