View Single Post
      03-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

135i adaptive headlight failure aka I suck at closing headlight seals

So, I took my car to a drive through car wash and got the infamous adaptive headlight error.

ended up taking off the front bumper and doing some testing. I determined that my ballast & adaptive light control board both bit the dust.

I am ordering a new ballast and adaptive headlight control module and new seals for both of the headlights to make sure this never happens again.

I tested the D1s bulbs on the working (left driver side) and it worked on both sides, but when I swapped the ballast from one side to the other I couldnt get the right side working. I figure it has something to do with the bad adaptive headlight controller board or something like that, but the cable runs right from the connector to the bulb.

Once I get the parts in I'll do my best to do a quick write up on the process & what to do for it since I haven't seen a real writeup for how to swap out the ballast's and the adaptive headlight control module on the bottom of the headlight.

Long story short on what killed it was ~2-3" of water sitting in the bottom portion where the control board was. It got the Adaptive headlight control module and the ballast :\

Hopefully I can get all the condensation out of the light before I go ahead and get the parts swapped around. I'll probably make it a saturday through sunday job to make sure the headlight gets thoroughly dried out.
Appreciate 0