View Single Post
      02-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #17
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Only Mazda I ever coveted was the twin turbo RX7 in the late 90's and early 2Ks, still like and respect those cars.

I'm really not much of a gear head, a bit more so lately.

I think many on here will tear that article apart...to me it read more like a Mazda ad than an editorial. They spoke of some of the technologies like "direct injection" and "variable sequential valve timing" like it was this new revolutionary products. "Faster combustion process", um doesn't that usually equal less torque? I want both...head snapping torque and when that runs out a lot of horsepower to bring it home. I had an S2K, I always felt like I was raping that thing! Vtech was amazing and fun, but a bit of a bore until I got there.

I found this to be a bit more of an interesting read as some of it obviously pertains directly to our cars and was written in 2010 and the technology was obviously being used long before that.

"Spraying fuel directly into a gasoline engine’s combustion chambers instead of its intake ports isn’t a new idea—the World War II ME109 German fighter plane used it. The Japanese-market Mitsubishi Galant was the first car to combine direct injection with computer-controlled injectors in 1996. Direct injection (DI) costs more than port injection because the fuel is sprayed at 1500–3000 psi rather than 50–100 psi, and the injectors must withstand the pressure and heat of combustion."

But I'll take the compression if we can support it with the octane fuels available to us.
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0