View Single Post
      01-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
Take it with an extrme grain of salt. BMW denied there would ever be a Z4 M Roadster. They also denied till the day it was released there would ever be a Z4 Coupe. We've already seen the softtop undergoing testing which they do many times when designing a coupe/roadster variant car (design the softtop version first, then the coupe).
I pretty much see it the same way...it just seems that there is such a groundswell out here for a coupe.

What I do worry about is BMW's obsession about beating Benz to the punch-
and right now the sloped roof 3-door is getting a lot of play...a lot of long looks in terms of trying to define an appropriate body, or format, for the next decade....
and the coupe, in spite of being a classic and totally in proportion to the 1-series size, may have the perception (to BMW) of signifying retro or been-there-did-that.

I'm still very optimistic...keep in mind no one from BMW has said on the record, carved in stone, what the models will be- what I know for sure is that there's some cabrio's out there testing and that every article I read says no hatch for N/A.

From what I hear, BMW mediapool will release official pics of the mildly restyled 1-series 3-door hatch in week 3 of this month...and these introduction dates are usually about the time that other pics/photoshops and further info on the "1" line-up coincidentally appear to flesh things out and extend the buzz.
This I definitely expect because the hatch isn't coming to N/A so BMW or Huckfeldt or some enterprising photog who's been tipped of will release something for us over on the other side of the Atlantic to get excited about.
Appreciate 0