06-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #53
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Ok, just got back from reinstalling the vanos solenoids after cleaning them. After clearing the SES codes and starting the engine.... the limp mode and rough idle came back within 2 mins.

Now here is where it got a bit interesting (or confusing).

Like I mentioned earlier there is a loud squeak near the alternator. I have ignored that since it should be an easy fix, but now I'm thinking the SES codes and the noise are likely directly related.

I sprayed WD40 on the rusty pulley where I think the noise is coming from, and the noise stopped and the engine began to idle smoother. I turned off the engine, cleared the codes again, and doused most of the pulleys with WD40 and there engine is much smoother. And no codes have been popped after 10 minutes of running.

If you watch this video it shows an interesting slow motion view of the belt struggling and "slapping" due to the resistance of one of the pulleys (i think). Skip ahead to 3:20 to see what I mean.

Can a seizing pulley or slipping belt cause the P052B/P054B codes? I guess if the oil flow is affected right?
Dude your belt is split. Watch the video again, I slowed it down even further using the YouTube interface (to .25 speed) and caught the attached pic. I highlighted the split section on the top in red and the blue line shows the path the rest of the belt is following.

If I were you I'd take the belt off, check it and check ALL of your pulleys, especially the tension pulley. Then go from there.

EDIT: Also make sure you take a pic of the belt path before you take it off. This might seem like a super noob thing to do but finding the right pattern online is annoying if you don't know it by heart.
Attached Images