Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I believe imported cars in Australia carry additional import fees/duties along with taxes thereby increasing the price.
True, but you can't tell me that there are $159,000 in taxes on an $80,000 car.

LCT or Luxury Car Tax in Australia is 33% of a car's value above $57,009. (Don't ask me why they picked that number)

Therefore, to use the Porsche 911 Carrera from the previous example the LCT component of that $237,816 is $54207.90

That leaves over $100,000 to be accounted for.

If the car was selling here for $79,000 it would still attract the LCT but that would only be $6563.10 making the total cost $85,563.10

Now don't get me wrong, I'm aware that there are other figures involved. The AUS price also includes Dealer Delivery, Stamp Duty, Sales Tax etc whereas (to my knowledge) the US price is MSRP so you still have to add all that on but there's still a rather massive discrepancy.

Even taking into account the greed that that Australian Government are exhibiting here with the LCT you have to admit that Porsche are basically charging Australian buyers for 2 cars and delivering 1.

Quote:
Some of the performance oriented 'domestics' carry a more reasonable price tag:
There's a reason for that... They are not in the same league...

Quote:
I know the Holdens and Fords aren't directly comparable to a 135, but it shows that not all cars in Australia are outrageously expensive.
The issue that I have is that the only cars in Australia that are priced comparably with EU/UK/US pricing are the two domestic brands you've mentioned and dodgy crap-box cars from the Pacific Rim.

- Harlequin