07-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
BMWfan69
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe, AW/Terracotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlinden View Post
This thread is very helpful. Just back from ED of 128 coupe with HK, and particularly struck by lack of high end volume and clarity. I could not appreciate the sharp, clear and distinct percussion sounds of bells, chimes, etc that I can easily hear in what I think is a base audio system in 2007 E90. I had used settings from a post re L7 equilization settings for a different model, and clearly this is not the optimal setting for 128 HK. Didn't have time to try L7 off, or other settings, and ears were not optimal driving up and down Sudtirol mountains (beautiful area !). Will be great help when someone works out settings to optimize the HK sound in 128, and for me, particularly if they can overcome the limits in terms of high frequency muffled sound.
I completely agree it is terribly difficult to extract any clarity out of this system. It has obviously been configured to cater to a young listener who prefers bass filled dance music without a significant level of detail needed.

My 5 series Logic 7 system just seems to EQ itself no matter what the material is being played. That is just not the case with the 1 series HK system. Anyway here is how I have my 1 series set. This is so subjective and it seems to need to be adjusted any time I change the style of music. Tis is a major pain in my opinion, but these settings seem to give me the best all around EQ for clarity. Let me know what you think. I will most likely post this as a separate thread as well.

Main settings:

Bass: +5
Treble +10
balance >4
Fader ^2

EQ:
10Khz = max high
5Khz = 8 bars right past center
2Khz = 7 bars right past center
1 Khz = center
500Hz = 5 bars left of center
200Hz = center