View Single Post
      08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Excellent article to start on your oil obsession :P.. clearly explains the differences between grades and what *W* means

it doesn't cover EVERYTHING (like what oil is good for use with what fuel, other specific things)

after this, if you've got it all, move on to bobistheoilguy forums for even more in-depth

discussions even longer than this article on the use of ethanol with oils for example haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
It's a long ass read isn't it haha. Though the conclusion I got from reading the article was that it would be even better to use a lower weight oil rather than a higher weight, i.e. either 0W20 or 0W30. Of course it depends on the individual engine, engine age/condition, oil pressures and oil flow using a particular oil weight in the given conditions. Which brings me to a question. Are we able to monitor oil pressures on our N54s without having to get a specific gauge?

I'm currently using Castrol Edge 0W40 and was considering trying the TWS 10W60 but after reading that I might either stick to the 0W40 or possibly even go to 0W30.
the N54 runs hot though, so a thicker oil is the choice (like a 40 on the street) going by that article? which is what i was lead to believe otherwise anyway. then maybe a *W50 on the track

though if you're running major oil cooling and your temps are actually quite reasonable, a 30>40 might be the choice

it's very application specific

ED: by hot i mean >212F... big dual oil cooler setup's might get you to that 212 mark tops though.

if you went to a 30, and had higher temps, it would thin out a LOT more than a 0W40 would potentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Yes 0W30 would be good, but I haven't seen it in stores?

0w40 is better for engine wear at cold starts than BMW OE 5w30 as it stays thinner.

Actually doing an oil change this afternoon, so great timing!
you can get 0W30

i don't see a reason not to get oil from amazon anyway, when it works out to more like $15/L shipped for the good stuff vs $30-$40...

and even the cheaper stuff like mobil 1 is $7/quart + post (and yes, amazon has it in 0W30)

Last edited by flinchy; 08-14-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0