04-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #264
OneDirty
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
The first real "M" car was the 1973-1974 2002 Turbo. The M1 came later in 1978. I say the 2002 turbo is the first "real" M car as it had the special engine, bodywork, interior, suspension, etc you expect in a real "M" car. The striping was even in "M" colors.

I have always thought the M1 was sort of overrated. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds! My old Pantera would out run one. It did have light weight and I am sure it was fun to drive, but have always felt the term "Supercar" was a little too strong. It was no Countach or Muria.

M turbo keeps the traditional M1 folks happy and is still a M name that makes some sense. It also sounds pretty cool IMO.

I read somewhere (here I think) that you'd have the option of reversed turbo script on the front spoiler...with the side stripes, very 2002 Turbo-ish Only problem is, 1973 was a long time ago, and the word "TURBO" is written large on Vacuum cleaners, food mixers, vibrators...it's kind of lost it's impact

The M1 was a supercar though, for it's time at least. 5.7 to 60 was pretty damn fast back then, and zero to sixty is not even an eighth of the story - stuff like the Countach and Pantera were indeed faster, but if I was gonna drive from Stuttgart to Stockholm, and I was a cool rich 70s dude, I'd have took the Bimmer every time
Appreciate 0