Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I'm still betting its your lock actuator. Just a guess but the fact that it sounds different than when mine broke might not mean that yours isn't broken. I think there are different audible symptoms for example when a window regulator breaks. Just a thought.
Yea you're probably right, since that's all that's left after the electrical stuff. Just to confirm the lock actuator is the 'motor' basically yeah? Or is there a separate electric motor too?

Tomorrow I'll finally call my SA and set up an appointment at the dealer, been swamped with work and wasn't able to take the car in this week. I'm expecting CPO warranty to cover this issue.
+1 for the actuator. Yes it's essentially a motor for all intensive purposes. It mechanically moves the locking mechanism. When you open the door to unlock or manually lock it, you're doing the same thing, only by hand.

The easiest and best way IMO to test this is to pull the door panel and check voltage at the actuator with a multimeter or test light. If you have power to the actuator, it means the actuator is the problem. No power, and it's likely wiring, a fuse, or computer. In general it's easiest to diagnose electrical issues from the affected component backwards, once fuses are checked of course.

Appreciate 0