View Single Post
      11-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Car Stutters when driving off from stop

Fellow members,

New issue to me, I have tried the search function but no luck on the 1m forum, there are many topics about BMW acceleration stutter but non that address what I am experiencing.

When the car is cold, it starts normally, drives normally, accelerates normally.

During warm up (to final operating temp.) car is fine

Once the car is at its' maximum or normal operating temperature when accelerating normally from a standstill the car shudders, stutters and there is rumblings from the rear diff.

When the car is warmed up... it feels like there is an additional load on the car preventing it from accelerating (like someone attached a piano to the car). At times there are some noticeable "slow" transmission shifts but I am not sure if this is related or not.

Once rolling, there is no performance issue at all.

... Just a stutter and what sounds to me like diff rumblings from a take off.

Update: January 13th 2018:

Hello all,

To Update this thread, the issue with the car is the dual-mass flywheel assembly (self diagnosed).

When the car is running and in neutral there is a distinct flywheel chatter when you release the clutch pedal.

I invision that the stutter and vibrations through the chassis that I am feeling is the flywheel's inability to smooth out the power delivery of the straight 6.

I heard the flywheel chatter earlier in the car's life and dismissed it as normal M car idle noises, however the chatter is slightly worse now and I have the new symptom of the aforementioned stutter.

Is it safe to drive the car with the early signs and symptoms? What are the ill effects of driving the car over a prolonged time with the dual mass flywheel damage?

Last edited by rapter; 01-13-2018 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0