View Single Post
      05-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #149
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
After I first changed my trans fluid to MTF-LT-4, I did not notice any difference in shift smoothness. In fact I say it got a little bit worse when cold. I then switched to Redline ATF D4... I did notice far lighter shifter effort and a smoother opperation from gear to gear.
Have you run an oil analysis of virgin D4 and LT-4 fluids? Id be interested. The viscosities or other characteristics could be vastly different. 46k miles isnt enough to really have a statistically significant indication that the lube is OK to run for the long run.

D4 is likely the "right" lube, as it has closer to GL4 additization with the right frictional characteristics for synchronizers in MTs.

ATFs tend to be a bit weak and a bit light for optimum protection. If I was going aftermarket, Id probably use a more midrange lube for added protection, even if giving up a bit of shift feel. Remember that the gearbox on the N54/55 isnt rated for much more than 300 lb-ft of torque, so youve given up most of the over-engineering that one could.

As far as MTLs go:

Current MTL GL4 viscosities are:

1. ATF viscosity Series; 6.5 to 8.5 cSt (Equivalent ATF viscosity; Note: ATF additive package is weak compared to most GL4's)

2. Synchromesh viscosity Series; 9.3 - 9.6 cSt (such as Amsoils MTF, Texaco's MTL, Pennzoil's Synchromesh, GM and Chrysler's Synchromesh)

3. 75W85 viscosity Series; 9.8 to 11.5 cSt ( Redline's MTL, RP's Synchromax LT, Nissan's MTL, Honda MTL, Castrol Syntorq LT)

4. 75W90 viscosity Series; 12.8 to 14.5 cSt (Amsoil's MTG, Redline's MT-90).

Plenty to read here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1231182

And here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1782680

If you are interested. Also, this comes from prior issue (2006) of GM Techlink service news and it may applicable to current models.

Quote:
This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result."
Appreciate 0