08-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #203
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Everything I have come across in my research says there is issues with running aftermarket cf hoods. I doubt you can rely on saying a GT3 RS has a cf hood if you get pulled over. Not my rules, just stating what I know already. You can have a custom fibreglass hood made that complies with ADR but it will cost $$$ and there will be some down time.

If unsure, call Dept of Transport.

Also you've mentioned a few times you want to keep your car street legal but uncertain about catless dp's which are illegal. Doubt anyone would ever pick up on it but having a CF bonnet is illegal and very noticeable. At least dp's are discreet.

Not saying you shouldn't do any of these mods, but they are clearly illegal when your philosophy is about being street legal.

My philosophy is building a decent street/track car. One that I can drive every day of the week and take to track. Only things I ever need to change are wheels/tyres and drop the oil/filter and brake fluid after each event.
Thanks Vinney. I can assure you that any CF parts that might feature in my car will be legal in Qld, and other states, and also comply with ADRs. If you read my previous post, there is a clear reason why I cannot use any existing products currently already on the market.

These safety requirements means that you cannot just scan a bonnet, modify it in a CAD, mill the mould out and just lay any CF and cure it. The whole component including attachments needs to be redesigned because CF has different properties to steel or aluminium. This means a lot more cost involve than the Revozport, or a Seibon, or a Vis which are really cosmetic based product.

There are certainly legal (and safety!) issues with aftermarket CF hoods, but it is not a blanket rule and there is no rule in the legislation against a hood made of any specific material. The hood, needs to comply to the safety standard in the ADRs for both occupants and pedestrians.

My target is GT3 times - not sure if I will get there, but that's the aim.
Appreciate 0