View Single Post
      10-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
bloomjbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: MY 2008 135i

Blue Ridge route to NJ

First of all, congrats on your new 1M coupe! If you are looking to show it off, I’d love to see one in person!!

I think your idea of taking the BRP home is an excellent one. In regards to your question:

1) As far as the ticket situation goes, I've driven hundreds of miles on the BRP and haven't had any issues there. I'm not a crazy driver but I do have a V1 and I don't enjoy driving a fun car at 45mph through the mountains either.

2) The real time issue is that its a two lane road that has a max speed limit of 45mph. So you will likely encounter some 'Sunday' drivers on your trip.

3) It should be noted that the BRP is not cleared for snow so if we happen to get a layer of snow, they will close it off. Sometimes it is only sort segments but just keep that in mind. The viaduct is an easy one to get closed due to its vulnerability to weather.

That all being said, I would suggest you check out at least part of the BRP on your way. The most notable point for car guys is probably the Linn Cove Viaduct. It is one of the coolest structures that you can drive a car on and the view is awesome (on clearer days).

If you are looking for suggestions for a route that gets you some BRP time consider maybe doing this:

After leaving the Greenville, SC area, go to Asheville, NC via US HWY 25 North. Its a nicer drive than going I85 to I26.

Once in Asheville, you have two options: You can get on the BRP just east of Asheville off of I40 OR you can get on I40 east and go to Marion, NC (there is some good BBQ in Marion as well!).

Then go north on NC 226/US221 (follow 221) to Lineville Falls, NC. You’ll go under the BRP and take the ramp up to it. At the top of the ramp, you take a left and 5-10 miles from there is the viaduct / visitors center. Then you could follow the BRP into VA and jump off, in Roanoke perhaps, to hit the hard road.

In general we have tons of good driving roads in this area. US HWY 178 north of Pickens, SC, US 276 going to Ceasar’s Head, NC 64 is very twisty in places but these are all west of Greenville, Although you could create a route to catch some of this and end up in Asheville, NC if you have the time.

Hope this helps.

Joshua
Appreciate 0