12-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #40
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbrozen View Post
I'm obviously late to the discussion, but wanted to jump in and give some 1 love, too.

I took mine to 3 track days at NJMP this past year (2 lightning and 1 thunderbolt) and had a blast. It really depends on what you are trying to do. For HPDEs, it isn't a race. However, I found there were very few drivers out there with me who could catch or pass me, and this was me on stock suspension with stock RFTs. Of note, E46 M3s, E90 M3s, and even a couple of Z06s had to give me the point by. Is the 1'er faster than a z06? No, of course not. But I was faster than a couple of Z06 drivers. So you really have to take that into account when talking about this stuff, especially when referring to HPDEs.

I was particularly happy to have an e90 m3 driver approach me between sessions to ask about my car. He told me he caught up to me when I was behind a slower car. We both got the pointby on the same straight and, according to his story, he "was aiming to pass you on the next straight until we hit that first turn. All I saw was a puff of smoke and you were GONE!" In the last session of the 2nd day on thunderbolt, a driver with a dedicated E36 track car came out with us and I hung right with him through the whole 20 mins.

I will note, there was quite a difference when I had my JB4 map 5 turned on vs running stock (I did both in the same day due to limp mode issues). With it on, I probably could have passed that e36 track car on the long straight, for example. With it off, I may not have pulled away from the e90 like I did.

With better cooling and better tires, this car would be more than enough for me and how I plan on using it at the track.

Thank you two for the 1 love
Appreciate 0