View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #45
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Ethanol over 10% is not going to "kill" your warranty. The manufacture states that you can use up to 10% ethanol in a newer vehicle. They are merely stating that if you chose to use more than that, then they can not be held liable for their workmanship on a part they set at handling up to 10%.

Same thing can be said about modifying the car in any other way as well. If I tune the car for more HP, the manufacture wont honor a warranty on parts they made to only handle a certain limit they designed.

By no way does that mean ethanol is not safe. It just means the ones who chose to use more of it should also take into consideration of what they are getting into. Almost every single gas station has up to 10% ethanol in the gas now. If lubrication was such a big deal, as you state, then you would see every news station in the country promoting 2 stroke oil mixtures... lol

Warranty Information:

Components damage/malfunctions, or any drivability problems caused by use of fuels containing more then 10% ethanol (or other oxygenates with more then 2.8% oxygen by weight) will not be covered under BMW warranties with respect to defects in materials or workmanship.

I think BMW's language is pretty clear. Perhaps you don't think it's clear. That's OK.

I'm not sure how you built a bridge in your head connecting reasonable people wondering if there's a way to protect their vehicles from a fuel not designed to be used in their vehicles to ETHANOL SUCKS! But, it's your head and you build anything you like in it!

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-15-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0