View Single Post
      10-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I drove it from the South end to the North end in mid-October and I did not see a cop until Virginia. I think I saw a total of 2. I tried to keep within 10 mph of the speed limit, as I usually do. On some corners, there is no problem. Especially when I did it because it rained most of the time. The worst traffic is the mobile homes and people towing campers. The road is narrow with no shoulder and these vehicles are too big, IMHO, and they drive REALLY slow. Passing opportunities are limited.

I don't know if tickets are a federal issue or not but a lot of the BRP is in a national forest. The tightest and for me most fun part is south of Ashville. There are lots of tunnels and the road is much tigher. As you go towards Virginia, in general the road flattens out. That made it harder to stay at least close to 45 mph.

This will not be a major test of your car or driving skills regardless of how much you push the speed. My theory was just to have fun and to get some photos along the way. Linville Falls is a nice chance for about a 2 mile walk through the woods to some nice spots for pictures. There is also a short walk spot if you don't want the longer hike.

Jim