View Single Post
      03-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I have a Porter Cable (12 years old now), and I use it probably once a year. Through my wash and dry routine, I try hard not to introduce swirls and such into the finish. So, once a year pretty much works for me. With that frequency, I don't worry much about removing a lot of clearcoat to "level" the finish.

In your shoes, I would wash and clay, then take a really close look at the finish, in different kinds of light (sunlight, florescent, hand-held Brinkmann light, whatever you have).

That inspection step, and your comfort level with the results, will indicate whether you want to polish. I do use and like M205 with my Porter Cable, though I get crazy and follow it with Menzerna PO85RD (hey, I'm retired; I have the time): )

I have heard of people using M205 by hand, but not sure what to use as a hand-held pad. With any hand-polish job, be prepared for an arm workout.

Yeah, be careful of rotary polishers. They work great in the right hands, but they come with a somewhat careful learning curve. A random-orbit polisher (Porter Cable and others) are fairly idiot-proof.

I'll agree with "Etien's" owner above about Blackfire Wet Diamond. Pretty easy to use, and I love the look! Doesn't seem to be as much of a dust-magnet as other products I have tried. It's at the front of my (large) product shelf. I have Black Sapphire Metallic, but I've seen Wet Diamond look awesome on Alpine White.

Have fun! A well-done "detailing" job is worth the effort.
Appreciate 0