View Single Post
      08-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #51
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Corleone View Post
A) nice ones who are easy to deal with like you seem to be and tend to be easier at accepting a deal since they are less informed/concerned
B) tougher ones who are more educated and discriminating about the product they are buying and who research everything before taking a decision; not as nice with the sales man (myself for instance)!
this is exactly what I'm talking about. You see customers as either stupid and readily accepting a deal that is not the best they could get, or they are informed and know what they want to pay for the car and are thus "not as nice" because they will happily walk out the door if you can't give them the best price. This is why people don't give a crap if a dealer loses money on a car, because they're tired of walking into a dealership and having it be an adversarial game. Maybe people wouldn't be such jerks about getting some insanely low price if they didn't think that any penny above that price was somehow being stolen from them by the salesman, a feeling which is almost entirely due to the actions of the industry itself. I know that there are plenty of customers who think they're some kind of car buying genius and act like complete jerks throughout the process, and I've seen it. It's really annoying. But it's also annoying to have two different people go to the same salesman at the same dealership and buy the same car, they're both told that the price is the absolute best deal they can get, and have the prices be hundreds of dollars apart, if not even more. There's one such story right on this forum.

I know exactly what I want, and exactly what I want to pay. That doesn't make me "not as nice", it makes me an informed customer who will take his business to the dealership that gives him the best deal and treats me with an ounce of respect. I don't play games, I simply refuse to be taken advantage of. Hell, just last week I had a salesman try to convince me that $1300 over invoice was a great deal...which it IS for a 135, except for the fact that the "invoice price" he quoted me was actually about $1000 below MSRP. Do I feel bad if a guy like that gets screwed on a deal? Nope, I don't. In fact, I'm slightly entertained by it.

Quote:
dbtheo

We will not custom order vehicles, just to order them. We must have signed purchase order with deposit. I am assuming the OP had to do the same, if he didn't that's one thing. But if he did, then imo, he re-nigged. Granted it was to his benefit. I'm not mad at him, doesn't mean I have to agree with it though
How solid of a contract can it be if the customer can simply call up and say "changed my mind" and the dealership just gives him back his deposit? It's 1 of 3 things...either the purchase agreement is simply not binding or enforcable, it actually allows the customer to walk away whenever they want, or dealers just don't pursue it because they don't care or they see it as not being in their interest. At the end of the day, if dealers aren't willing to assert their rights under these agreements, if such rights exist, then can you really blame people for walking away like this? At the very least they should be keeping the deposit, but I can't think of any of these stories that I've heard where that happened. I can see that you might get some bad press or word of mouth if you go after people and force them to pay for the cars, but keeping the deposit would probably not be seen that badly.
Appreciate 0