12-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #60
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladstert View Post

I've got a BMW 1er cabrio with the very basic audio system (Businness).
I don't think you do... Business describes the head unit, not the amp-and-speaker system. Go to this page to nail down which "audio system" (by which BMW means amp-and-speaker system) you have.

The Reference 650.6 with balanced inputs isn't even made any longer?

Morel Elate 9 midbass won't fit. Tried it. The ADMW9 can fit with a 20mm spacer we make, but now that the Jehnert drops in we use it instead - it doesn't require the EQing that the ADMW9 or the home version we like better require for the effects of the extremely small enclosure under the seat. Also, there's some work involved to keep the carpet off the surround of the ADMW9, and the Jehnert doesn't need any such attention.

There is a huge difference in sound quality from the SWS to any of the others, but you also need to remember that excursion is your friend when you have a convertible. The underseat woofers need to contribute up to 200 cycles or so, you need to remember, and the SWS don't have a lot of accuracy above 100 cycles. However, their excursion is a plus in the verts and we use them a lot for folks who listen to a lot of rap and hip-hop or techno and electronica. If you listen to rock with bass guitar and an acoustic drum kit, you want the Jehnerts.

I applaud the willingness to go active, but I don't know that I'd sell it hard to a vert customer. The tweeter and mid are almost identical distances from the listener. Again, depends on what you're listening to. Your car probably doesn't have ASSIST or parking sensors, two things which make HU replacement very hard. If you absolutely positively have to replace the head unit and you want to go active, go with the Pioneer PRS-80. Black, amber lighting, fully-active internal xovers. Personally, I'd keep the stock HU (I did).

We've done these systems before, we have a package that works in our E82 line (as you note, a trunk sub is a bit of a stretch).
Appreciate 0