View Single Post
      11-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #91
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
120 deg is fine... over 150 deg is an issue and when DME engine management reduces power. 100-120 deg is optimal temp managed by thermostat setting. I have done many track days and my oil temps have never gone over 120. The only time it went high was on the Advan dyno due to lack of fans blowing on it initially.

Get your facts correct before sprouting unfounded statements. I think the BMW engineers know what they are doing. Do a track day first and then see if it is an issue. Unless your mods are pushing more than 20% over stock, I can't see this being an issue.
Hey Ian,

with all due respect I would not consider a sustained oil temp of 120+ degrees Celsius to be fine, for anything but a stock vehicle making stock power.

I suspect the N55 may place less load on the oil cooling system than that of the N54.

You only have 1 heat exchanger on your vehicle, where as the N54 has two turbos that are spinning like crazy and in turn generating a lot of heat.

That is potentially more thermal load on the oil cooling system, which would result in higher running temps than that of the twin-scroll turbo N55.

By the way are the BMW engineers you so fondly refer to, the one and the same engineers that managed very quickly to resolve the HPFP and or ignition system issues that would have otherwise plagued the platform, oh wait, they didn't.

Lastly if you do the math Ian, practically ANY 135i/335i with just a PROcede or JB3/JB4 will be making way more power than 20% over stock.

Last edited by JD75; 11-24-2011 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0