View Single Post
      11-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #96
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
JD75/Skycat, is there any reason why you think the OE thermostat pushes temperatures into the 120C. What would be the benefit BMW engineers were angling for with this? The reason I ask is, if the solution to better cooling is having the thermostats action point reduced, wouldn't this be the obvious thing for BMW to do first before sticking extra coolers in the 1M & BMWP Performance Pack?

I'm really concerned about the temps in my car while on the track which hit about 130 sometimes, but the engine ran perfectly well and seemed to be pulling hard as ever. The 120C mark is a mid point on the engine and it seems to love being at this temp. From your extensive experience, is there any benefit to running warmer?

Thanks.
Hey mate,

as has already been mentioned an engine running at higher operating temps will be more efficient.

This increased efficiency will lend itself to both improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.

Obviously the above is a win win for the BMW owner.

However if that same owner is intending on tracking the car, I would suspect at a minimum they are running a "tune".

FYI,

on an otherwise stock vehicle (save a Dinan CAI), my car via a Vishnu PROcede "tune" on Map 1 produced 230 rwKw and on Map 2, a not so disappointing 250 rwKw.

It dynoed up at a 190 rwKw baseline just prior,

so here we have a 60 rwKw gain via just the PROcede, cheers Adrian.

If you throw on some catless downpipes, which according to Pete at Advan appears to be the "flavour of the month", you would be looking at 260+ without breaking a sweat.

Just to be clear I am talking about the N54 here, I do not have that much experience with the N55 powerplant, but my limited research suggests that the N54 generally responds better to the same mods.

So with a "tune" and "catless" pipes you have bumped up engine output by approximately 37% + or -, depending on how happy the specific N54 is.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what a 1M dynoes up at?

I suspect it is somewhat South of 260 rwKw and I guess BMW did NOT see fit, to up the cooling capacity of their formidable "track ready" M car.

I would be a little concerned to say the very least, if I saw my oil temp guage licking 130 degrees Celsius.

In the short term I suspect you will get away with running operating temps under extreme engine duress intended for a stock vehicle.

However depending on how much power the engine is NOW developing and to what degree you push the car, it could end up being a VERY expensive exercise.

In summary guys,

if you "want to play you have to pay".

Last edited by JD75; 11-26-2011 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0