View Single Post
      11-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #104
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle View Post
Strictly speaking, the turbos don't generate any heat but rather absorb the heat from the exhaust gases - but that is being a bit pedantic and I think most understand what you're getting at.

A bit pedantic yes, I have seen turbos glow so hot that you can see the turbine wheel and this is on turbos 4 times the size of the tiny BMW units. On the dyno the tiny BMW units have a nice bright red glow from the turbos back down the dumps to the mid pipe. Trust me on the race track yours are doing the same. So if you are running your oil temps to 130-140 you are CRAZY and have far to much money or to much red mist,The N54/55 engine repair will cost $10,000+
Trust me when i say that a turbo will lift oil and water temps by 25% - 40% over an NA
depends on mods so keep a watch on that gauge, for what is worth its crap and is not correct anyway. IT READS LOW

A bit of history....
The fuel system issues were actually a result of the Siemens fuel injection technology that BMW adopted. The whole issue has caused Siemens much grief and no doubt lost them a heck of a lot of cash - but it's BMW that get the bad rap.
BMW should have gone through with the Aussie DI technology developed by Orbital Engine Co. - but that's another story.
BMW have stuffed up they have parts made to there specs they do not purchase ready made items all the injector and pump parts were made for the N54/55 engine its up to BMW to sort out there stuff up, they are trying,

Orbital i think that about ten years ago cost mums and dads a shit load with there bullshit air engine that was a flop and there two stroke that was not much better, Thank god that BMW did not go there
Appreciate 0