View Single Post
      09-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #27
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I heel/toe the gas and brake at the same time while slipping the clutch right before launch. It works like this: I level the gas to get the RPM to around 3500 RPM with the clutch all the way to the floor and the brake firmly applied. Then I start letting out the clutch until the RPM's start to drop to around 2800 RPM while easing on a bit more gas. When I hit about 2800 RPM, I swivel off the brake and floor the gas while letting the clutch all the way out at the same time.

This is all done in one quick motion over about 1-2 seconds. I don't hold the clutch at 2800 RPM for any time at all, I just go straight to launch the moment the engine starts really pushing hard against the brakes.
This is similar to what I ended up concluding was the best way to take off in the STi. It's not so much as "struggling to learn," as someone above put it, as it is being a perfectionist and trying to find the ideal dynamic. I know no one has driven one yet, but i figured I'd prompt some speculation/discussion, which I'm happy to see finally happened.
Appreciate 0