United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Oh believe me, I mentioned at least twice that it's a known problem with the N51/N52 and that there's a TSB about it. I also offered to pull up the TSB on my phone for his reference. I also explained to him that my dad is a retired Porsche Master Technician (35 years) and so I have a fair amount of secondhand mechanical knowledge. I also mentioned that I have owned many older VWs and am VERY familiar with what tapping valves sound like because of it. I also explained that I have owned direct-injected cars before, as well as diesels, and so I'm familiar with what loud fuel injectors sound like. He really didn't like me alluding to knowing more about the car than he does.

Anyway, his solution was for me to come back when the shop foreman was working and let him listen to the noise and make a determination. Guess what days/times the shop foreman works? M-f, 9-5. Guess when I work? M-F, 6-6. Not to mention, to really hear the ticking the car needs to sit after a cold start. Grrrrrrr
Yeah you will never get the car to tick after driving a good distance to the dealer.
Appreciate 0