View Single Post
      05-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #51
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

actually hybrid powertrains (the mild versions that have been produced up to now, anyway) tend to be more reliable than typical internal combustion engines, but the control systems are complicated. and i belive this was somewhat said but if you are concerned with emissions, diesels are not your friend - but they are getting much better.

also hybrids are not inherently slow. the ones in production are because they are striving to achieve MAX fuel efficiency. the concept of a plug in hybrid would allow one to design a powertrain and control system allowing a great balance of power, and very fun to drive.

and with respect to all the talk of hybrid vs. new clean and effiecient diesels.. let us all remember that these are both technologies that are just getting going and neither is a final destination. we are a long way away from a transportation/power-machinery solution that will allow us to live in complete ecological balance with our surroundings. and i cannot say that i believe taxation on gas is the solution, but there is certainly a need for more money for R&D and there still remains a substantial need for a large portion of the market to get motivated in this trend. as brett said this is a complex problem and it will have a complex solution.
Appreciate 0