Thread: 125i Buyers....
View Single Post
      04-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #42
Kizzt
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
General motors gear boxes??? i thought i read getrag? whered you get that info from?
Another thread on here suggested that the window stickers on 128i state the gearbox info as being GM. This may have been Getrag misenterpreted.
I've since been unable to find that post. It may have been erroneous, scaremongering or somesuch - I may have accidentally bandwagoned on this - but given how little info my dealer has given me, i couldn't really say accurately.

But if we assume the statement in the afforementioned post to be true then:
Given that the engine in the 125i has been tuned lower and apparently has a different exhaust system to the 128i i can't see any reason to put the 'better' gearbox in the 125i while putting the 'better' engine setup in the 128i with the 'worse' gearbox. I may be wrong on the Australian ones - it may just be a result of US import that they receive US 'boxes... But i get the feeling BMW has cheaped out on a fair few 'little' things on our version, i don't see why this would be any different.

So with this one take it with a grain of salt, i feel a little foolish for having jumped on this now that i can't find my evidence again.

EDIT: Found the link - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...general+motors
Apparently Getrag don't make any of the automatic boxes for BMW, but only GM. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0