febul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
A few thoughts....

1. Both videos are the same! And in that video it looks rather moist and cool out - how much of that is condensation?
2. Is there any type of smell to what's coming out? Don't poke your head into the exhaust but see if you can catch a whiff when coming to a stop. If it smells sweet and syrupy, you are burning up coolant.
3. If need be pull the plugs, check them to see if they're fouled (oil could be slipping past a ring), and do a compression and/or leakdown test.
4. Are you bleeding boost? If so, you could be loosing it into the coolant system.
5. Are you loosing oil? Monitor oil levels. Do the same for coolant.
6. Pull codes

I'd be shocked if you cracked the block. And i'd be rather surprised if you smoked the head gasket, that's rather rare on these motors. FAR more likely is that with the removal of all 4 cats, the lack of backpressure is pulling oil out of the bearings and burning it up in the exhaust. Now THAT is pretty common.
I just updated the thread with the fixed video link.

1. It was pretty cool out, but it was the sweet-smell and amount of smoke that caught my attention.

2. It was a rather sweet smell.

3. How would I go about performing the compression & leakdown tests? I don't mind going out and getting the required tools.

4. How could I tell whether or not I'm bleeding boost?

5. I checked my oil level last Sunday for this very reason. I'll be re-checking it tomorrow and reporting back. I have not checked my coolant level as yet, but will when I recheck the oil level.

6. About a month ago I had a SES light and brought it to a mechanic. We ran a scan and got these codes:
HTML Code:
P2096 - post catalytic fuel trim system too lean. Bank 1
P2272 - o2 sensor signal stuck lean - bank 2 sensor 2
P2098 - post catalytic fuel trim. Bank 2
P0171 - system too lean bank 1
P0174 - system too lean bank 2
I made mention to him that the previous owner had installed the BMW DPFIX onto the ECU. He adjusted the dial on it and told me to clear the codes, which I did. After 300+ miles the codes have not returned. I'm worried that the codes are simply being hidden by the DPFIX.

I know that cracked blocks & blown head gaskets are rare on these cars. I've babied the car since I got it in July. But I have no idea of what boost levels were ran through it by the previous owner, or of how it was driven.

Last edited by febul; 11-16-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0