View Single Post
      09-06-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

HOLY SHIT $1094 TO CHANGE THE OIL FILTER GASKET!

Okay, if you are willing to learn then a 128i isn't too bad a place to start. The oil filter gasket can be done very easily without removing the intake manifold, and you can do that as apart an oil change. Look for videos on it, there are lots.

The oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket are not too hard to do, but for a first timer I would really recommend having a helper that is experienced giving you a hand.
To work on bimmers you need etorx and regular torx sockets. Some hex head stuff appears here and there. And of course lots of metric sockets and wrenches.

For the Valve cover gasket or cylinder head cover gasket, some aspects of the job are easy (removing the coil-plugs hitting the bolts around the front and sides of the engine) and some parts of it suck (the bolts in the back of the cylinder head, the one vacuum hose in the back, and removing the F'ing valve cover itself)

For the oil pan gasket, you need and engine bar/brace that runs from fender to fender over the engine that you hang the engine from. From there you get to remove the front subframe and everything that is attached to it. This is somewhat easy, provided you watched a few videos to see where everything is that needs to be disconnected.

To be honest I would find an indy shop first and get another quote. If you reallllllyyy want to work on it, watch every single video you can find on it. Ask here for tool advice, and general help. But if you are really new to this, find a friend or family member that can help or talk you through stuff. Good luck.

The fog lights are easy enough but the 10 or 11 nut or bolt that holds them on is kind of a pain to reach.